Welcome to Miss Sleator’s year 6 class.
Some important information to remember:
What to bring:
· We go swimming on a Monday
· Instruments are needed every Thursday
P.E will take place on Friday this term
This year there will be two written homeworks per week. These will normally be on Monday and Tuesday and consist of a Numeracy and a Literacy task. However, on occasions these days may differ but children will be notified of this in class.
Children should be reading their class novel and AR reading book each evening and over the weekend if possible.
Dinner money is £2.55 per day and £12.75 for the week.
Children can access 'Charanga' website by using an email address. It is essential that children log on each week and practice their chosen instrument, as their progress is monitored on a weekly basis. At the end of the year, children will participate in a Year 6 concert and parents will be invited to come along and see how their child has progressed throughout the year.
Many Thanks, L.Sleator
The Handshake Challenge
Today, we did an Active challenge: we worked in a group to find out how many handshakes there would be if two people, then three people....met. We had six to seven people in a group. Here's what we did:
1) As a group we discussed our strategy and worked it out.
2) We shared our strategy with the rest of the class and explained our reasoning. Miss Sleator was pleased to see all the different strategies that we used. We learnt a lot from sharing each groups methods; some strategies were quicker and easier than others.
3) We analysed the results and found a pattern.
Have a look at our task images below :)
Active Maths Task
In class today we worked in our numeracy ability groups on different budgeting tasks. Here are our photographs.